Overnight French Toast Bake Recipe
This sweet and savory breakfast dish takes French toast to the next level. Get ready to delight your guests!
- 1 (1 pound) loaf sweet sliced bread (such as King's Hawaiian), brioche or challah
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1½ cups half & half
- ¼ cup maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place bread slices on rack or platter at room temperature until slightly dried out, approximately 2 hours. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- In medium bowl, combine cream cheese and Bacon Pepper Jam. In greased 13x9-inch baking pan, place half of following items in order listed: bread cubes, small dollops of cream cheese jam mixture, Swiss cheese. Repeat.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, half & half, maple syrup and cinnamon. Slowly pour over bread mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake covered for 30 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 30-40 minutes or until set. Drizzle with maple syrup when serving.
Tip: To dry bread cubes before assembling, place cubed bread in 250°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Anonymous from Delicious! I do not do breakfast, but I made this for girls weekend, it was a hit! I crave this dish, and you can make it for a supper meal as well! Love it!
Date published: 2022-06-11
Rated 5 out of 5 by Mama Shoff from Superb French Toast I made this for a brunch at my church and it was well-received! Never made it before and wasn't sure when I read the reviews if it would be a hit or a miss. Thankfully all comments were good and I came home with an empty dish!
Date published: 2018-03-22
Rated 1 out of 5 by CookinNow from Different My family was not a fan of this recipe. Probably because they were expecting sweet french toast and this was sooooo different. No trying this one ever again.
Date published: 2017-01-10
Rated 5 out of 5 by Julssode from Excellent & Easy Everyone loved this & I loved that it could be assembled the night before.
Date published: 2016-12-14
Rated 5 out of 5 by dawn33 from Full of flavor We had this for dinner and it was a big hit. There is a wonderful combination of sweet and smoky going on. It was great with maple syrup.
Date published: 2016-11-30
Rated 5 out of 5 by Lex Luvs from Bacon Pepper Jam a Savory delight I love to have Breakfast for dinner so I assembled this dish at noon put it in the fridge for 5 hours it takes approximately 45-50 minutes to bake. Had it on the table at 6pm for a delish Breakfast Dinner #Brinner meal.
Date published: 2016-10-11
Rated 1 out of 5 by 3kiddosmomma from Not a favorite This was much too "savory" and was not enjoyed by any of us. It tasted too much like pepper jelly dip on top of our French toast and those are two things I wouldn't combine ever again
Date published: 2016-10-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by ValPal411 from Sweet and spicy in the Morning Love French toast, so I was super excited to try this recipe! Little nervous that it would be too dry, but turned out great. My co-workers went wild over it. Definitely making this again!
Date published: 2016-09-14