Mama Mia's Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) container 4% milk cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 9-12 oven ready flat lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and crumble first 3 ingredients until no longer pink; about 6-8 minutes. Drain off liquid. Stir in tomatoes, water and Mama Mia Marinara Sauce Mix. Let cool.
- In medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg and ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Place 1 cup sauce in the bottom of a greased freezer to oven-safe 11x7-inch baking dish. Layer with 3-4 noodles, 1 cup sauce, ½ the cottage cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers finishing with 3-4 noodles, remaining sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Seal well, label and freeze.
- To bake from frozen, preheat oven to 400°F. Remove foil and plastic; loosely replace foil. Bake 1½ hours. Remove foil and continue baking 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F on an instant-read food thermometer, is bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Serve with garlic toast and a green salad.
No Freeze Option: Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare through step 3. Cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
Note: 1 (15 ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese can be substituted for cottage cheese.
Nutrition per Serving: Calories: 670 Total Fat: 32g Sat. Fat: 16g Cholest: 165mg Sodium: 1,730mg Carbs: 45g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 12g Protein: 50g