Absolutely Almond Robin's Egg Layer Cake Recipe
This pretty four-layer cake will be the centerpiece of spring gatherings.
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2 (16 ounce) containers buttercream frosting
- Blue food coloring
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Several robin's egg malted milk candies for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare Absolutely Almond Pound Cake Mix™ according to package directions using water and butter. Divide batter between 2 greased 8-inch round baking pans.
- Bake 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and all to cool completely. Slice each cooled layer horizontally to make four layers total.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix buttercream frosting until smooth and fluffy. Add blue food coloring and blend until frosting is robin's egg blue. Assemble layer cake with buttercream frosting between layers. Frost outside of cake with remaining buttercream.
- In small bowl, mix together cocoa powder and vanilla to create a brown "paint." Using a stiff-bristled pastry brush, run your thumb across the bristles to splatter small drops onto the frosted cake to simulate the markings on a robin's egg.
- Mound toasted coconut into a circular "nest" in the center of the cake; add robin's egg candies to nest.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with ice cream or drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Tip: For especially moist cake, brush warm layers with simple syrup before removing from pans. To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup water; heat to boiling, remove from heat and allow to cool.