Balsamic Watermelon Stars Recipe
Pretty and patriotic, these festive appetizers bring together all kinds of garden-fresh flavors.
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella ball or log, sliced
- 1 small seedless watermelon, sliced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Toothpicks or cocktail skewers
- Fresh basil for garnish, optional
- Special Equipment: 2 sizes of star-shaped cookie cutters
- In small saucepan over medium heat, heat Aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena to a low boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
- Using a 1½-inch or other small star-shaped cookie cutter, cut stars out of mozzarella. Using a 3-inch or other medium star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out an equal number of watermelon stars.
- Drizzle a serving platter with reserved balsamic glaze. Thread a blueberry, mozzarella star and watermelon star onto a toothpick or cocktail skewer. Set carefully onto platter; repeat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.